[ltp] Please help me pick out my next thinkpad

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:54:22 -0600

First, I want to thank everyone for their input to my original
question, it's been very educational.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:16:58AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Tim Prince wrote:
> >Theodore Tso wrote:
> >
> >>I have an X61s with the 4965, and the iwl4965 works just fine for me.
> >>I think some folks have reported problems with WPA support with the
> >>iwl4965, but in general I rarely have needed WPA/WPA2 support, so I
> >>can't speak to that.
> >>
> >I have used WPA from the beginning, not that anyone would mooch off a
> >typical American sub-megabit connection.
> I know of someone who "borrows" his neighbour's internet connection, via
> WiFi.  I also recall reading in the news a while ago, about someone
> who'd drive around looking for an open WiFi internet connection and use
> it to get kiddie porn.  If any illegal activity gets traced back to you,
> you could have significant problems.

You might want to read this.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html

Bruce Schneier is a well-known security expert and he runs an open
wireless at home. Most comments to his posting disagreed with him. I
happen to agree. Interesting read.

Christos.