[ltp] Open Wifi (was: Please help me pick out my next thinkpad)

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:30:06 +0200

Hi !

Christos Papadopoulos wrote:
> First, I want to thank everyone for their input to my original
> question, it's been very educational.
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:16:58AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> Tim Prince wrote:
>>> [[...]]
>> I know of someone who "borrows" his neighbour's internet connection, via
>> WiFi.  I also recall reading in the news a while ago, about someone
>> who'd drive around looking for an open WiFi internet connection and use
>> it to get kiddie porn.  If any illegal activity gets traced back to you,
>> you could have significant problems.

IMO, the main problem with this debate is:
Legal situation differs locally, but positions are published world-wide.

> You might want to read this.
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html
>
> Bruce Schneier is a well-known security expert and he runs an open
> wireless at home. Most comments to his posting disagreed with him. I
> happen to agree. Interesting read.

IANAL and didn't pay close attention, but AFAIK:
At least in Germany the law is that running an open wireless over which
somebody else violates any rules (including illegal download of for-pay
music) is considered as having provided assistance for that action.

So while Mr Schneier may consider the risk to be low enough, nobody
should simply apply that US statement to his country without checking.

Regards,
Joerg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de