[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.21-20080612 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:51:13 -0300

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:24:56 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> > I have released version 0.21-20080612 of thinkpad-acpi through the
>
> Running 2.6.26-rc6 on a X31, I get Bluetooth autoenabled during boot.
> That does not happen with 2.6.26-rc5 (and the included tpacpi).
> I did not yet have the time to test if this also happens with
> 2.6.26-rc6 without tpacpi 0.21-20080612, but wanted to let you know
> ASAP.

There are going to be differences to the initial state of WWAN and
Bluetooth, now.  rfkill will set that state, and it does not depend on the
thinkpad firmware defaults (however, if the radio is blocked by any hardware
switch, it will NOT turn on).  Default state for rfkill is to ENABLE radios
for now (which I don't agree with, but I didn't change it).  One of the
changes I made to rfkill is to let you set (with a module parameter) that
initial state to DISABLED.

Basically, now there is something else talking to thinkpad-acpi to set WWAN
and Bluetooth radio state, so you may observe different behaviour.  As long
as it is coherent behaviour, that's fine (but see below).

So, please check if you can enable/disable the radios properly.  If you can,
and what changed was the initial state only, it is all fine (but we can
track down the reason for the initial state change if you want.  I find it
interesting that it is now "disabled" for you, I distinctly remember it was
supposed to be "enabled" unless you override that yourself).

It *is* possible that we have a logic inversion bug (enable when it should
be disabled), either in the rfkill stuff or in the thinkpad stuff, and
that's something I would really want to track down and fix FAST! ;-)

rfkill works like this:

status 0 -> radio is NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK.
status 1 -> radio MAY work (if you tell it to).

The "if you tell it to" might not apply to bluetooth, but it does for WLAN
and friends where you need to setup the interface with an IP, ESSID, etc.
And propably to WWAN as well.

If you find anything different, please report it to me ASAP.

  Henrique Holschuh