[ltp] Battery issue with R31 (any battery experts out there)

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:11:47 +0300

Thanks, very thorough. A friend of mine managed to get me a new battery on a
days notice during the weekend, so the immediate problem was solved. I was
aware that these batteries are volatile, that is why I didn't just open it
up. We may try to save the old battery just to learn something though.

Will update if we do end opening it up and stay alive to tell the tale ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Dmitry E.
Mikhailov
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 15:18
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] Battery issue with R31 (any battery experts out there)

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 10:43:57 pm michf@post.tau.ac.il wrote:
> Hello, it's a bit off topic for this list but maybe someone
> knowledgeable enough is lurking here.
>
> The battery on my r31 died completely (I mean, I don't get even 1
> second of life from it). That led me to suspect that due to the fact
> that the machine has been lying around unconnected it may have dropped
> bellow the minimum value and the protection circuit is preventing it
> from charging.
>
> Does anyone know if this is probably, if so, if it is possible to
> check if that is the issue and if it is, is it possible to forcibly
> reset the protection circuit (will bypassing it to charge the battery
> once work?)
>
> I have access tomorrow at work to proper equipment to do this if this
> is necessary (controlled power supply, oscilloscope, proper soldering
> iron and most importantly, people who know how to use them ...). Since
> I fly on Sunday evening and I haven't managed to put my hand on a
> replacement battery, this is the last chance to get the machine
> working for the trip, it is thus a little urgent.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

WARNING WARNING WARNING: the battery can EXPLODE resulting in INJURY OR
DEATH
if mishandled. You do everything at your own risk. YOU ARE WARNED.

I've done it to my extra old Roberbook laptop once and several times to my
friends PPC batteries. You need a voltmeter, ammeter, and a controlled power

supply. DO NOT DISCONNECT battery control circuit from battery because it's
settings may be volatile. First, connect two wires to the raw battery
(before
the controller). Connect it to voltmeter.

Look at your battery casing: the rated voltage should be printed there. If
there's something about 14...16 volt, it's a 4- or 8-cell battery. If it's
10...12 volt, it's a 3- or 6-cell battery. The minimal voltage per cell is
2.4v to 3.0v (according to wikipedia). So if you got 4- or 8-cell battery,
you should charge it to at least 4x3.0V=12V. If you got 3- or 6-cell
battery,
you should charge it to 3x3.0V=9V. Monitor the battery's voltage with
voltmeter.

On the controlled power supply initially set the same voltage, as on
battery.
Connect in serial an ammeter and controlled power supply to the same wires
you connected to raw cells, a '+' of the power supply to the '+' of the
battery, '-' of the power supply to the '-' of the battery.

WARNING WARNING WARNING: If you manage to reverse the polarity, the battery
would likely VIOLENTLY EXPLODE and the power supply could be fried by
overcurrent.

You should also know the rated battery capacity in A*h or mA*h. If the
battery
is 10 000 milliAmperes*hour it means you can draw the current of 10 000
milliamperes (10Amps) for 1 hour or draw a current of 1Amp for 10 hours.

You should charge your battery with current of NO MORE than 1/10th of it's
design capacity. Yes, that means full charge would take 10 hours but it
decreases the chance that metallic lithium inside undercharged battery would

blow the whole thing away. So if you got a 4400mA*h battery, you should
charge it with current of less than 440 mA. Let's say it's 300mA.

After you connected the controlled power supply to the battery, start slowly

increasing the voltage on the power supply while looking at the ammeter. The

charging current would rise with the voltage. You should stop increasing the

voltage when current is at it's 1/10th capacity limit.

Every ten minutes disconnect the regulated power supply (but don't reset
it's
voltage) and check the battery voltage with voltmeter. When you get above
3.1Volt per cell (that's 12V for 4-cell and 9V for 3-cell battery), you're
finished.

If you're lucky, when you stick the battery to the laptop it would start the

charge. But the battery controller may be permanently shut down and stop
monitoring the battery. In this case you should reprogram the battery
controller, but I can't help you with that.

	Good luck,
		Dmitry