[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.21-20080612 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:24:23 -0300

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On ven, 2008-06-13 at 17:05 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > rfkill wants to set the radio state to match a global state for all
> > other
> > radios of that type.  Which actually works quite well, once the entire
> > system
> > is converted to rfkill (lots of network drivers don't use the new
> > kernel rfkill
> > system yet).
>
> Does this mean that (at one time) physical switch on front of my
> thinkpad will shutdown all network interfaces (lan, wlan, bluetooth,
> wwan for those who have it) ?

Depends on what you mean with "shutdown network interfaces".  But it can do
anything you want already, if you handle the events thinkpad-acpi send to
userspace when you slide the switch.

It will BLOCK the wireless devices.  For WWAN and Bluetooth, that will
unplug them (which obviously shut their interfaces down).  For WLAN, this
usually doesn't down the interface, it just silences the radio so any
transmissions go nowhere).  For UWB I have no idea whatsoever.  LAN is not
expected to hook to rfkill so it will not be affected, but you could easily
write an script to do it from HAL if you want to.

  Henrique Holschuh