[ltp] Problem with cardbus on Thinkpad 600.

Henrik Jacobsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:00:28 +0200

 rrkrr (rrkrr@comcastnet) wrote:
> I have an old iSeries Thinkpad that is about the same
> vintage as your  600  It's BIOS has provision for both
> APM and ACPI, but because the  BIOS is dated prior to
> 2000, Linux will not use ACPI by default  I put  the
> "acpi=force" option in the /boot/grub/menulst enty for
> the kernel  in use, and ACPI works  There are error
> messages in dmesg related to  the DSDT file and the PIIX4
> buss eeprom, but Linux is smart enough to  work all this
> out  The IRQs are assigned automatically and the
> thinkpad-acpi hotkey functions work too (that is, the
> hotkey functions  that exist on a model this old work)  I
> am using a PCMCIA wireless card  that works this way

Interesting  I installed Xubuntu on my TP600 just to check
if it would find my cardbus, and the result was opposite to
your experience  With acpi=force (default) the kernel
decided to disable CardBus-support
Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:00:020
Yenta: Enabling burst memory read transactions
Yenta: Using CSCINT to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:020, mfunc 0xfba97543, devctl 0x62
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:020 probing PCI interrupt failed, tryin g to fix
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:020 no PCI interrupts Fish Please report
Yenta: no PCI IRQ, CardBus support disabled for this socket
Yenta: check your BIOS CardBus, BIOS IRQ or ACPI settings
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x0098, PCI irq 0
Socket status: 30000020
Yenta: Using CSCINT to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:021, mfunc 0xfba97543, devctl 0x62
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:021 probing PCI interrupt failed, trying to fix
cs: pcmcia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported
Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:021 no PCI interrupts Fish Please rep
ort
Yenta: no PCI IRQ, CardBus support disabled for this socket
Yenta: check your BIOS CardBus, BIOS IRQ or ACPI settings
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x0098, PCI irq 0
Socket status: 30000010

, but when I edited the grub-line and removed acpi=force,
the kernel got as far as it did in my original post; that
is, it notify when CardBus-cards are inserted or removed,
but I can't get 'modprobe prism54' to work (it loads the
module, but nothing exciting happens)  What distro did you
use, and is the wireless card 16bit or CardBus?  I can get a
16-bit PCMCIA-card going (kernel finds it automatically) but
am stumped when it comes to the CardBus-card

/Henrik