[ltp] Re: [NOT SOLVED] Immediate Poweroff when Docking

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:20:14 -0400

on Mon Jun 09 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh-AT-hmh.eng.br> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 May 2008, David Abrahams wrote:
>> > Just happened to me again as well :(
>>
>> What happens if you dock with the dock's power supply *disconnected* (I
>> do mean unplugged, I don't mean just "off") and connect it only after
>> docked?
>
> Did you try that?  I asked you to try it for a good reason, it has
> a non-zero chance of fixing your issue.  You may want to try it with
> and without the rubber caps.

Hi Henrique,

I've been swamped with work, and then travelling, so it hasn't exactly
been practical to do this.  I don't know what happens if I dock with the
power supply disconnected, but

a) The problem happened so rarely (especially since the installation of
   the rubber caps) that it would take a great deal of experimentation
   to learn the answer.

b) In response to my problem report, IBM replaced my motherboard.  With
   the rubber caps I haven't had a single incident so far since the mobo
   replacement.  We'll just have to see if anything is actually wrong
   anymore.

c) Needing disconnect the power-supply before docking is better than
   losing everything, but for me that wouldn't amount to "fixing my
   issue." ;-)

Unless the problem comes back I don't have much motivation to pursue
workarounds.  I hope you can understand.

Thanks for all your help, past and future,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing