[ltp] Re: X300 anyone?

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:20:59 +0200

Hi Florian,

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:27:53 +0200 Florian Auer wrote:

> I'm going to buy me a new thinkpad soon, and I'm ranging between an X300 an a
> T61p:
>
> http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/product_info.php/lenovo_thinkpad_x300_n1214ge
> http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/product_info.php/lenovo_thinkpad_t61p_
>
> Has anyone pro's or con's on one of these notebooks, especially concering
> running Linux (Ubuntu/Debian preferred) on them?

Well, I don't have any of those, but I heard from several users that
both run Linux fairly well.

I think the main difference is the size (and with that portability and
power). The T61p (btw, your link is wrong, did you mean
http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/product_info.php/notebooks/ibmlenovo/thinkpad_treihe/lenovo_thinkpad_t61p_?)
has a faster CPU and a dedicated GPU - if you will use it for gaming
and 3d stuff, you'll notice the difference. The X300 is more expensive
and a bit slower, but smaller and thus more portable.

It mostly depends on your needs whether you want a T or an X series -
Linux will run on both*.

Regards
Evgeni

*: as both are fairly "new" models there are still some quiks, with the
volume and brightnes keys IIRC, but that applies to both models you
mentioned.