[ltp] Re: X300 anyone?

Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:16:52 -0400

> My link works for me but yes, your link points to the same offer.
>
> I don't do much 3D stuff and gaming, so CPU/GPU power is not decisive, and
> with an intel graphics accellerator in the X300 I can use GPL'd drivers and
> do not have to fume at any proprietary drivers (right now I'm using an ATI
> Mobility Radeon x300 on an R52 - OSS driver "radeon" works far better for me
> than the proprietary one from ATI).
>
> I'm especially interested in the 3G and GPS hardware, good luck a new
> installation guide / review was added to tuxmobil.org today [1].
>
> This is what I need:
>
> I carry my notebook about wherever I am, so weight matters. I'm doing lots of
> web development and have to administer some servers via SSH or OpenVPN. This
> autumn I start studies 40 km from my hometown, so mobile internet access is
> quite important for me.
>
> I also plan a trip to Tanzania/Afrika for about six month (supporting the
> linux4afrika project [2] - maybe you've heard of them?), and power supply is
> not the best down there, so I need long battery lifetime :)
>
> Pro T61p:             Contra T61p:
> * Disk space          * weight
> * Firewire            * nvidia graphics card
> * Price
> * Docking port
>
> Pro X300:            Contra X300:
> * 3G hardware        * price
> * weight             * disk space
> * GPS                * no docking port
> * Intel GMA
> * style :)
>

> Thanks for all answers and hints!
I'm not too sure if I'm just being paranoid, but it seems that the T61
series price has been diving so hard that it is quite plausible that
Lenovo is on the verge of replacing them with a brand new series of T
with all the SSD system. See the rumor here:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/08/details-surface-for-future-thinkpads-x200-sl-t-and-r-series/
Particularly interesting is the possibility that you have dual graphic
card in T series, and you can use integrated one when on battery and
switch to powerful ones when on AC. However, in your case I don't
believe this change your equation, because T series will always be
bulkier and SSD will unlikely be of larger capacity any time soon.
Jiang