[ltp] scsi vs ata ?

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:17:18 -0700

--------------030202050608060802060702

Thanks for the reply,

I am using the scripts at:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices

The eject gets to the beep at the end of the script. No files have been
loaded so the only relevant steps are 4 and 5. Are they part of the scrip?

Thanks - Dan

Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008 08:17:10 am Dan Sawyer wrote:
>
>> Yes, the motivation was ultra bay hot swap. This works on DVD and CD
>> drives. Hard drive installs work. However hard drive removal result in a
>> hard kernel hang. The script gets to the beep successfully but then the
>> hard hang. Unfortunately there are no log entries. (the latest kernel
>> patches are installed)
>>
>> Is there a way to debug this?
>>

> Hot remove isn't just hardware. It's software too.
>
> 1) close files on this drive
> 2)unmount filesystems
> 3)flush caches
> 4)instruct kernel to remove SCSI device
> 5)do hardware steps to remove
>
> If you don't do any of steps 1-4, kernel would wait for HDD forever and HDD
> wouldn't respond because it is just not there.
>
> As you wrote, there's some sort of script. Please let me see it. Post here as
> an attachment or provide a link.
>

> Best regards, Dmitry

--------------030202050608060802060702

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Thanks for the reply,<br>
I am using the scripts at:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices">http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices</a><br>
The eject gets to the beep at the end of the script. No files have been
loaded so the only relevant steps are 4 and 5. Are they part of the
scrip?<br>
Thanks - Dan <br>
Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">Yes, the motivation was ultra bay hot swap. This works on DVD and CD
drives. Hard drive installs work. However hard drive removal result in a
hard kernel hang. The script gets to the beep successfully but then the
hard hang. Unfortunately there are no log entries. (the latest kernel
patches are installed)

Is there a way to debug this?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->