[ltp] scsi vs ata ?

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:51:03 -0700

--------------050902070202000204000901

Jon,

This has been tried both with and without patches previously posted on
this list. Have you tried the .26 kernel?

Dan

Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 06:45:31AM -0700, Dan Sawyer wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Which is the more common mapping for hard drives in
>> current  distributions, hda or sda? I am trying to make
>> ultra bay hot swap to  work. Does it depend on an hda or
>> sda mapping? Is it independent of hda  versue sda?
>>

> I'm also working on ultrabay hot swap (as a patch for
> acpi-support in Debian/Ubuntu): please see
> <http://bugs.debian.org/388160>.
>
> I think some important libata fixes have gone into the
> kernel in >= 2.6.26. With 2.6.25, I cannot convince libata
> to let go of the bay device.
>
> If you're finding that you are going to hard-code
> /dev/[sh]d? into a script I think you may want to rethink
> how you are doing it.

--------------050902070202000204000901

<head>
</head>
Jon,<br>
This has been tried both with and without patches previously posted on
this list. Have you tried the .26 kernel?<br>
Dan <br>
Jon Dowland wrote:
 cite="mid:EMEW-k5JCl568d3f06bec0dbff8f14f1861bf90a5d6-20080620114642.GA3873@ankh.ncl.ac.uk"
 type="cite">
Which is the more common mapping for hard drives in
current  distributions, hda or sda? I am trying to make
ultra bay hot swap to  work. Does it depend on an hda or
sda mapping? Is it independent of hda  versue sda?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I'm also working on ultrabay hot swap (as a patch for
acpi-support in Debian/Ubuntu): please see
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://bugs.debian.org/388160">&lt;http://bugs.debian.org/388160&gt;</a>.

I think some important libata fixes have gone into the
kernel in &gt;= 2.6.26. With 2.6.25, I cannot convince libata