[ltp] Re: T61p CPU at 170-190F, while mostly idle

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:24:16 +1000

"David A. Desrosiers" <desrod@gnu-designs.com> writes:

> I think I have an overheating laptop problem.

I think you do, yes.

> I have to constantly keep the fan at "full-speed", because if I don't,
> I'll melt the pattern of the bottom of my T61p into the top of my
> thighs when I use it.
>
> Right now, the CPU is at "Automatic" scaling, 800Mhz, and the CPU is
> at 154F.

Something is seriously wrong three: that is 85°C, while my equivalent
idle laptop is running at 44°C, about half the temperature.

[...]

> I've unloaded every module I can think of except those required for
> wifi (ath_pci), sound (snd_hda_intel and friends), and the block
> encryption of my drive (dm_crypt, aes_x86_64 and friends) and a few
> others.

I use dm_crypt encryption, same hardware, and did absolutely *zero* to
change the way that temperature is managed, so...

[...]

> I'm lost as to why this runs so darn hot *ALL* the time.

...I think you have a serious firmware or hardware problem.  Try
upgrading to the latest BIOS and, if that doesn't immediately fix this,
call IBM ^W Lenovo and ask them for support.

Regards,
        Daniel