[ltp] [X61] Harddisk upgrade

Sebastian Geiger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:11:31 +0200

Hi all,

im planning on a harddisk upgrade for my X61 (7673-A35). Im currently
running Gentoo and XP in dual boot. With a 120GB harddisk and its
getting a bit tight concerning HDD space. So im opting for an upgrade on
a 320GB Harddisk. Now my question is where I can buy any harddisk on the
market, or if I have to care for certain specifications?
What im especially wondering about is whether I need to have certain
harddisks in order to use the APS (Active Protection System).
In a blog somewhere I read that Harddisks have to support parking the
head in less than 500ms? Is that not the case with all harddisks.
Maybe someone can point me to some page with some sophisticated
information. If just googled for an hour but i couldnt even find the
specs for my X61s harddisk.

Whats more is that Lenovo offers harddisks on its own website but they
are considerably more expansive than if i buy somewhere else. Is that
just the usual overprice or is there something special about these
harddisks? Like qualitiy or specs?

Best regards and thanks in advance.