[ltp] Using Linux to copy Windows to a new drive

Tony Chang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:20:32 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C8D577.21F943A2

I've used with consistent success partimage =
(http://partimage.org/Main_Page).

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org on behalf of Adrian =
Bastholm
Sent: Mon 6/23/2008 1:02 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: Re: [ltp] Using Linux to copy Windows to a new drive
=20
dd would work fine, you just have to give the option of copying the boot
sector in a separate file, THEN the rest.
*dd if=3D<root partition> of=3D<boot pointer file> bs=3D512 count=3D1
**dd if=3D/dev/hda of=3D/home/user/bootsect.win bs=3D512 count=3D
*after this you can  even tar the contents of the windows partition and =
move
it.

/adrian

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Dan <likuidkewl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:02, Timothy Murphy <tim@gayleard.com> =
wrote:

>> I have a dual boot system on my Thinkpad T43,
>> with Windows XP on /dev/sda1 .
>> I'm just acquired a 250GB WD disk,
>> and I am wondering if there is any Linux tool I can use
>> to copy my Windows XP over to the new drive
>> (which I can mount in the ultrabay)?
>>
>> I once used dd to copy a Windows distribution,
>> and it didn't work properly.
>> Is there anything better for this nowadays?
>>
>> Nb I don't use Windows much, but would like to keep it if possible.
>> --
>>

> Checkout Clonezilla, this will suit your needs I believe.
> http://www.clonezilla.org/
>

> --
> Dan Maranville

--=20
V=E4nliga h=E4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

------_=_NextPart_001_01C8D577.21F943A2

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7651.59">
<TITLE>RE: [ltp] Using Linux to copy Windows to a new drive</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've used with consistent success partimage (<A =
HREF=3D"http://partimage.org/Main_Page">http://partimage.org/Main_Page</A=
>).<BR>
<BR>
<BR>