[ltp] debian on 600X

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:45:04 +0200

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0300
alfio <alfio@inbox.com> wrote:

> i'd like to extend the life of my trusty 600X (650mhz, maxed ram,
> etc) by moving to a light version of debian (xfce).
>  <snip>
> anyhow, i'd appreciate any advice and comments from people running
> linux on 600Xs. thanks

As you no doubt know, you can use any of your favourite distributions
(Fedora, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE) for the basic core according to
your preferences for package management and network tools, etc. and
then use a lightweight desktop environment to keep the load down on
CPU and memory.

XFCE is great, I use it on my T23 and recommend it.  However, if
one is willing to do without a few frills I've also found that
several other options are even lighter and work a bit faster for older
systems like your 600X. Openbox or Fluxbox are easy to install and
have good support. So is Pekwm. Pekwm is easy to configure and very
useful when combined with LXpanel. For that matter you might also
want to look at LXDE.

I'm using the Pekwm + LXpanel combination on top of an Xubuntu base on
an older PIII, 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM system and it works reasonably
fast. Faster than the same system using XFCE, which was my first
choice.

HTH, John