[ltp] debian on 600X

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:11:11 +0100

--------------enig2514A199C72AAFC775B77D39

Yves-Alexis Perez pisze:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:20:07AM +0300, Harry Popov wrote:
>> I have Debian Testing with Gnome running on T600X 500Mhz 256Mb RAM.
>> Befoer that I explored Mandriva 2006 & 2007 with Gnome. I do not think=

>> XFCE is faster or lighter then Gnome. It was true years ago but not no=
w.
>> Would reccomend Window Maker or Fluxbox. But must say I am pretty happ=
>> with the speed of Gnome.
>=20
> You must be kidding :)

He's probably not kidding, he just didn't compare it with the others.

On my T23 (1.13G, 512 MB) Debian/KDE4.1b offers an acceptable speed.=20
However most of the time I use Blackbox instead (with KDE4 apps and XFCE =

panel) which is blazing fast in comparison. By an order of magnitude.

On a machine with <512 MB RAM I cannot recommend either GNOME or KDE.=20
I've been there, with my mom's old desktop (Athlon 1GHz, 384 MB).=20
They're both just too demanding. Blackbox with basic mainstream apps=20
running (browser, mail client, terminal, IM, file manager) allocates=20
more then 256 MB. Of course you could try that, but without many running =

services or the usual bells & whistles, which reduces both desktop=20
environments down to XFCE. True, XFCE *can* be just as a memory hog, if=20
you run all the extra services. Ubuntu, Mandriva and SuSE are all good=20
examples of distros that likes to eat all the RAM, no matter what=20
desktop you use. Debian is better if you install it from the ground up,=20
ie command line first, then X server, and finally desktop and extras.

--=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl