[ltp] Fedora9, xorg-x11-driver-intel, framebuffer corruption?

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:56:41 +0600

Hi,

Recently I upgraded my Fedora8 to Fedora9.

I do really really regret it. KDE 4 is FUBAR. They're moving /\/\$ V*sta way.
But that's quite another story.

I switched from KDE to XFCE and noticed a framebuffer corruption. Really
repeatable problem: open 25 terminal windows by clicking the terminal icon
fast and close it one-by-one. Sooner or later you'd get rubbish instead of
the window. You can ALT-TAB to another window and then switch back. Rubbish
is still there. It dissapears if you somehow trigger a redraw of the window
(resize for example).

If Xserver is started and I switch to the VGA console (framebuffer console
drivers are not compiled in the kernel), sooner or later I get an interesting
artifact: letters start dissapearing. I even thought it's some kind of a
virus but if Xserver is stopped, there's no corruption. It seems like
corruption of the font memory.

Is it a hardware failure? Or what the heck is it?

Xserver is 1.4.99.   intel video driver version 2.2. Tried newest 2.3. Doesn't
help. Can't compile old i810 ver 1.7.4 because it's not compatible with X
1.4.99

Any ideas?

	Best regards, Dmitry

P.S. It may look like a video memory failure, but intel video cards have no
external special video memory, it's taken from system RAM. Under Fedora8 I
got uptimes of about half a month and more. I'm totally out of ideas/