[ltp] Thinkpad T43 cached read Speed(hdparm -T) mystery

Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:01:52 -0300

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, jqian@physics.harvard.edu wrote:
> When it was running a Ubuntu hoary a few months ago(too lazy to
> update), with vanilla 2.6.18 kernel, hdparm -T shows about 1800MB/sec.
> However, now I'm in hardy, with ubuntu 2.6.24-18 kernel, the hdparm -T

Might be the ZEROPAGE removal stuff that went in in 2.6.24-18.  Try 2.6.25.9
just released, it is supposed to fix a performance regression in the
ZEROPAGE issue.

If the regression in hdparm -T speed is indeed related to ZEROPAGE, that
means hdparm -T is a completely meaningless test.

> 	2.What exactly does hdparm -T measure(processor bus speed?)?

Probably nothing useful.

> Is it a good gauge for performance? If it is not a good guage for
> performance, what is?

Your real workload is the only gauge for performance that matters.

  Henrique Holschuh