[ltp] Thinkpad T43 cached read Speed(hdparm -T) mystery

Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:27:19 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:01:52PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, jqian@physics.harvard.edu wrote:
> > When it was running a Ubuntu hoary a few months ago(too lazy to
> > update), with vanilla 2.6.18 kernel, hdparm -T shows about 1800MB/sec.
> > However, now I'm in hardy, with ubuntu 2.6.24-18 kernel, the hdparm -T
>
> Might be the ZEROPAGE removal stuff that went in in 2.6.24-18.  Try 2.6.25.9
> just released, it is supposed to fix a performance regression in the
> ZEROPAGE issue.
>
> If the regression in hdparm -T speed is indeed related to ZEROPAGE, that
> means hdparm -T is a completely meaningless test.
I'm sorry to be a bit dense here, but if 2.6.25.9 fix a "performance
regression", then what hdparm -T detects is a real regression, not a
meaningless test, right?

> > 	2.What exactly does hdparm -T measure(processor bus speed?)?
>
> Probably nothing useful.
>
> > Is it a good gauge for performance? If it is not a good guage for
> > performance, what is?
>
> Your real workload is the only gauge for performance that matters.
It's hard for me to judge performances when I had distro change, is
there some benchmark that more sensibly reflect the bus speed of my
computer?
Thanks a lot.
Jiang