[ltp] Occasional lockups

Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:03:58 -0300

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Tony Chang wrote:
> Let me start by apologizing for the slightly off-topic nature of my email,
> but people on this list seem to have their wits about them far better than
> other Thinkpad groups I've seen.

It is not off-topic, but the thread hijacking wasn't nice.  That said, since
you at least changed the subject, it doesn't matter much.

> I have two Thinkpads, a T60 and T60p.  The T60 runs Windows XP SP2 and the
> T60p runs Ubuntu 8.04 on 2.6.24-19.  They are both running BIOS 79ETE2WW.
> Both of these machines occasionally lockup with inconsistent frequency.
> When this happens, the mouse stops working, all input on the keyboard
> stops working, and the video locks up.  I did notice that fn+ScrLk (to
> turn on/off NmLk) still works, though.
>
> Since this problem happens in both Linux and Windows I don't believe it's
> the OS but I'm hoping someone here has run into a similar issue and can
> provide some guidance and/or URLs.

Looks like a job for Lenovo, to me.  You should report the issue to them,
the fact that it hits both Linux and Windows, in two different T60 models,
is quite a hint that it is caused by hardware or firmware issues.

  Henrique Holschuh