[ltp] Re: X300 anyone?

Fredrik Wendt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:25:34 +0200

--=-W+3604KBtyVXYTYEAAil

> > Pro T61p:             Contra T61p:
> > * Disk space          * weight
> > * Firewire            * nvidia graphics card
> > * Price
> > * Docking port
> >=20
> > Pro X300:            Contra X300:
> > * 3G hardware        * price
> > * weight             * disk space
> > * GPS                * no docking port
> > * Intel GMA
> > * style :)

Intel GMA - I'd never trade that. I love FSF and GNU but I need stuff
that works and Intel chipsets just does exactly this for me. I've never
had any issues with Intel based things. This is my opinion in deed, just
wanted to share this as a first.
=20
rumor:
> Lenovo is on the verge of replacing them with a brand new series of T=20
> with all the SSD system. [..] SSD will unlikely be of larger capacity any=
 time soon.

I ordered a 32 GB SSD for 400 =E2=82=AC some time ago. That was (is) enough=
 for
me and I can't say it did much to the battery life but I just loved how
the SSd made the computer completely silent (with tpcontrol for the
fan). The gain in lost weight is very noticeable when you're on the bus
or on a train. However, the model I bought only managed to push some 300
IO write ops / seconds and that was 10x too slow to be bearable (gnome
+compiz took almost twice as long to fire up). I tried with different
settings for about two months but finally gave up. So the darn whining,
too large, noisy, hot, heavy, plain old disk is back again. :(

Kevin Burtonini [1] (don't remember his name off the cuffs, and don't
have net access to look it up right now) occasionally blogs about SSD:s
and their prices.

I was too quick to jump on that bus (I knew I took a chance, and missed
the part of the spec about write IOps/sec). Perhaps that time has passed
- if so/when: I truly recommend getting a SSD disk.

/ Fredrik Wendt

[1]
http://www.feedblog.org/2008/02/22/final-thoughts-on-ssd-and-mysql-aka-batt=
leship-spinn3r/