[ltp] eee pc and thinkpad x40 comparison: a couple of questions

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:58:23 +0100

--------------enigC123970E15E7174837F32B8B

come se fosse antani wrote:

> Now I read about the EEE PC (900mhz cpu underclocked, SSD and 512MB RAM=
)
> and in almost every review I found, nobody tells that the asus is slow.=

Oh, it is slooow. It's just not slow for the money. :-)

> 1. it's worth to buy a CF and use it with an adapter as my primary disk=

> (taking off the 1,8 hitachi drive)?=20

Well flash memory cards are way faster then a 1.8" HDD, but it requires
a customized distro not to wear the flash too soon. I'm considering
something like that for my T23. I want install {insert appropriate
distro here} on flash. It would be expensive though, as I doubt that 4GB
would be enough for me.

BTW is there a bootable Ultrabay card reader I could use? Or one that
would hold only / with /boot on internal HDD?

> 2. it's worth to buy 512MB more ram to reach the maximal 1,2GB?

More RAM is always good, especially when you use prefetching. X40 has 3
memory slots? If you want a flash only system it's even more important
to avoid swapping at all cost.

> My primary use is web apps such as gmail, greader with firefox.
> if someone is interested I've an interesting link about a forum thread
> on using the CF adapters instead of the 1,8 drive.

Gimmie the link. :-)

--=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl