[ltp] eee pc and thinkpad x40 comparison: a couple of questions

Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:32:01 +0200

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:37:59PM +0100, come se fosse antani wrote:
> it's been almost 3 years that I own my x40 (1 ghz cpu and 768MB ram)
> and now it's seems a bit slow (I use ubuntu feisty).
> Now I read about the EEE PC (900mhz cpu underclocked, SSD and 512MB
> RAM) and in almost every review I found, nobody tells that the asus is
> slow.
> So the questions:
> 1. it's worth to buy a CF and use it with an adapter as my primary disk
> (taking off the 1,8 hitachi drive)?

I doubt it.  Flash is smaller and slower, but has the advantage of
having a much faster seek rate than hard disks.  Boot-up and initial
login would be *much* faster; copying large amounts of data around would
be slower; dealing with large numbers of small files ought to be faster.

> 2. it's worth to buy 512MB more ram to reach the maximal 1,2GB?

It's likely.  When your Thinkpad is acting slow, is the hard disk busy?
If so, having more RAM for a larger disk cache will be advantageous.

> My primary use is web apps such as gmail, greader with firefox.

Firefox likes a lot of RAM.  It also tends to use more RAM and become
slower the longer you keep it running; at one time I had to restart
Firefox once a day to make it fast again.  These days I either have a
more powerful laptop (2 gigs of RAM, yummy) or newer Firefox has those
leaks fixed.

I recommend the GNOME System Monitor applet on your panel.  Watch the
CPU and RAM indicators to know why your laptop starts to acts slow.

You may also want to try Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu, it supposedly needs
less system resources.  And I think the Asus Eee PC uses Xfce by
default, which is what Xubuntu has.

> if someone is interested I've an interesting link about a forum thread on
> using the CF adapters instead of the 1,8 drive.

I haven't personal experience with CF, but I've got a Nokia N800
Internet Tablet that uses flash for storage.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
H.323 has much in common with other ITU-T standards - it features a complex
binary wire protocol, a nightmarish implementation, and a bulk that can be =
used
to fell medium-to-large predatory animals.
        -- Anthony Baxter

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--