[ltp] eee pc and thinkpad x40 comparison: a couple of questions

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:48:30 +0100

--------------enigE99F2121924CAC91170977E8

Paul Fox wrote:

> customized?  how?
>=20
> compact flash has internal wear-leveling, which helps make sure
> it all wears out at once.

There's only one problem: it doesn't work well with journaling
filesystems. Do you know how it really works? How exactly can a 4GB card
keep track of all the "wear leveling" data?

> other than that, i wouldn't worry about it.  maybe move some very
> dynamic things thing in /var (e.g., /var/run, and /var/log if you're
> very brave ;-) to ramdisk, but other than that?

Removing /var is a must, otherwise it just won't pay off the card.

Oh, was it sarcasm? Sweet.

Marius Gedminas wrote:

> I doubt it.  Flash is smaller and slower, but has the advantage of
> having a much faster seek rate than hard disks.  Boot-up and initial
> login would be *much* faster; copying large amounts of data around woul=
> be slower; dealing with large numbers of small files ought to be faster=
=2E

I guess that matches his use profile perfectly.

> I recommend the GNOME System Monitor applet on your panel.  Watch the
> CPU and RAM indicators to know why your laptop starts to acts slow.

I have 512 MB RAM myself, and monitoring is a must, but I rarely need
more than that for KDE running basic services, Firefox, Icedove, and
multiple OpenOffice.org (Writer+Calc) windows. The only thing I could
really use more RAM for is creating large PDF files (over 100pp), when I
have to shut down all the other apps.

> You may also want to try Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu, it supposedly needs=

> less system resources.  And I think the Asus Eee PC uses Xfce by
> default, which is what Xubuntu has.

Limiting services run in KDE/Gnome is usually just as effective as using
xfce. Ubuntu flavors like to read everything up front, which can cause
problems with systems with RAM deficiencies, but 512 MB and over usually
is enough. I don't know about other distros, but a rule of thumb is the
more friendly the distro, the more RAM it can eat up (more services).

--=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl