[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Dom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:26:05 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Dom wrote:
>
>> /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal output looks something like:
>> temperatures:   44 41 29 53 31 -128 29 -128 36 47 46 -128 -128 -128 -128
>> -128
>> and values num, 5 and 6 are what you're talking about: 31°C and 29°C,
>> not a big difference though, or is it?
>>

> Values 5 and 7 you mean. Yes, that's it.  And IMHO, a 2K (or 2°C) difference
> from one side of the pack to the other is still expressive enough.
>
> That said, I usually get:
> Main battery charger: +36.0°C
> Main battery cells:   +30.0°C
>
> (sensors output with my T43 sensors.conf file and a hwmon-enabled
> thinkpad-acpi :-p).

What do you mean? hwmon-enabled thinkpad-acpi? I'm seeing
/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon directory, is that it?

And BTW, thanks - I just discovered the sensors.conf file and now I have
a similar sensors output except that I have no way to figure out what
temperatures number 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10 and 11 show on my Z61m - I've
searched the Internet unsuccessfully - is there any way to find out this
maybe from IBM, err... Lenovo?
I'm not keen on opening my ThinkPad, finding them on my own and then
cooling them down while having the ThinkPad on... [?? is that how Milos
Popovic did it with his A31 (as reported in ThinkWiki article titled
Thermal Sensors)?]
> Which is even a more expressive differene :-)
>
> I guess your thinkpad does a much better job at keeping your battery pack
> cold than mine!   Might be the pack electronics themselves, too.

Well, it is new, but then again I didn't bother to log the temperatures
down so I really don't have any real data... For example, after this
discussion, I've been monitoring it (manually) a bit more often and I've
seen it go even up to 32°C on cells during heavy usage.

--
Dom
http://domdelimar.com