[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:57:18 -0500

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 09:43 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 11:25 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > And nobody sane would do it either as the usual mode of operation on
> > Li-ION. As I sad, the IBM tech support guy was operating on bad
> > information (he is still in a NiMH world).
>
> Then why does IBM supply and recommend the tool that does exactly this
> (completely drain to 0%), for every model of their Thinkpad line, which
> only uses Li-ion batteries?
I'm no expert, but I believe:

It's to re-calibrate the electronics used to estimate remaining
power...

It should only be used when that system gets out of whack, since it does
do damage to the battery.

brad