[ltp] Booting from USB stick

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:18:22 -0500

> When the Thinkpad logo comes up during boot, press the blue Thinkpad
> button above your keyboard. You will get a boot device menu - choose the
> USB stick.

Well, that was simple! Thanks for pointing me to the obvious.

Grub on the usb-stick tries to load (so I'm halfway there), but hang:

  Grub Loading Stage 1.5Read Error

There's no error number printed, and so don't know which of the many
errors in Stage 2 is the cause.

One possibility is that the stage1 and stage2 files came from a debian
etch machine, while I'm trying to boot a sidux machine. Could that
cause a mismatch?

  ##ISO boot
  title sidux (fromISO + fromUSB)
  kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2 boot=fll
       fromhd=UUID=b4f48c83-75df-4a04-b28a-bbcccc24113f
       fromiso nointro quiet vga=791 lang=us/fromiso
  initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.12-slh-smp-2

Or there could be an error in this stanza. What I don't understand is
what the fromhd is doing there, since I'm not booting from HD, but
from USB-key. I've also managed to put the fromiso twice and can
delete one, but I suppose this makes no difference.

Haines Brown