[ltp] Display brightness

Joerg Platte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:22:12 +0100

Am Montag, 3. März 2008 schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:

> Yes.  I will look into it.  Which thinkpad-acpi version?  Which version of
> the T40 BIOS?

I'm using a vanilla 2.6.24.3 kernel with thinkpad_acpi version 0.17 and the
latest BIOS version 1RETDRWW (3.23 ).

> Sure, I could disable the brightness interface at the first sign of trouble
> and start returning errors to userspace instead of trying to recover.  I
> will think a little about it.
>
> What you really need to do is to hunt down whatever else in userspace is
> touching the thinkpad NVRAM and get rid of it.  Look for KDE or GNOME
> "thinkpad support" utilities and applets, for example.  Any of them which
> can change brightness are prime suspects.

Hmmm, KDE, or in this case, kpowersave, changes the brightness intentionally
each time the notebook is idle for some time. This works most of the time,
but not aways. It looks like it is getting worse after I replaced the
mainboard. The old one had a radeon 9000 and the new one has a radeon 7500.

regards,
Jörg