[ltp] Display brightness

Joerg Platte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:52:32 +0100

Am Dienstag, 4. März 2008 schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> Moving the mouse shouldn't confuse thinkpad-acpi at all.  Two brightness

OK, I meant that moving the mouse is detected by kpowersave and results in a
brightness change.

> change requests *through* thinkpad-acpi at the same time shouldn't confuse
> it either, but I will test it to make sure.
>
> What *does* confuse it is to press the brightness up or down key and also
> issue any thinkpad-acpi brightness changing commands (through the backlight
> interface, or through /proc/acpi/ibm/*) in such a way that both the BIOS
> (because of the brightness key) *and* thinkpad-acpi tries to change the
> brightness at the sime time.

I did not press the brightness keys while kpowersave adjusts the brightness.

> Also, if *anything* messes with the NVRAM, it will cause thinkpad-acpi to
> complain, and I don't believe it will be able to sync NVRAM and EC again
> (thus, to stop complaining) until the brightness is either set to maximum
> or to the minimum (which are sync points for the firmware).

Maybe it is X and kpowersave. X turns off the backlight after some time and
before, kpowersave has lowered the backlight. Now, when pressing a key or
moving the mouse, X switches the backlight on and kpowersave adjusts the
brightness at the same time. Maybe these two accesses may result in different
values in NVRAM and EC.

regards,
Jörg