[ltp] T60p Wifi and Display

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:30:02 +0000

After finally getting my T60 working to my satisfaction I've been
upgraded(!) to a T60p, and I now have two problems after installing
Ubuntu Gutsy:

1) Atheros AR5418 wifi card. Not recognized.  I've tried using the
latest madwifi for this but with no success. The ndiswrapper works fine,
but it's not getting loaded at boot. The ndiswrapper config placed an
ndiswrapper file in /etc/modprobe.d - containing 1 line:
    alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
but the driver still doesn't get loaded. If I "modprobe ndiswrapper"
everything works fine (in fact I get better wifi performance than with T60).

2) Display. This T60p has an ATI Mobility FireGL V5250. I need dual-head
support and the only way I could get that on the T60 (ATI X1400) was to
use the ATI proprietary drivers. I'm using the latest 8.452.1 version,
and it all works OK except:
    (a) GL doesn't display properly. If I run glxgears the display
window is completely corrupted (looks like black and white blocks like
some strange barcode) - but I do get 3400 fps! Similarly if I run compiz
desktop effects the display is unviewable.
    (b) Suspend to ram doesn't. The moon flashes, disk whirrs, then
numlock and capslock LEDs flash and the computer hangs. Moon led still
flashing. I've tried various settings in the /etc/default/acpi-support
file that have been suggested on this list, and I'm running
acpi_sleep=s3_bios on the boot line.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers
Phil