[ltp] exiting single user mode

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Mar 2008 06:52:39 -0500

I'm running sidux on a Thinkpad X61s.

I entered single user mode in order to change root's password. That
involved:

	sh3.1# mount -o remount,rw /

in order to get access to the passwd command. I changed the password,
and then go to exit the single user mode. And here's my question.

It is my understanding that you ummount / if you intend to continue
the boot, but not if you are going to shut down. Is this correct?

It seems that in the past I issued the command

       	sh3.1# exit

to exit single user mode, but now this results in

   	exit

(I'm not un-mounting because my aim is to reboot).

My first question is: What command am I missing that would have
avoided this sync problem? I assume not sh3.1$ sync;sync .

Second question. It seems to me that when I used to get a kernel panic
I could initiate a reboot with the three finger salute (C-M-Del), but
that's not working on my Thinkpad. I'm forced a pull the power. Is
there a way to force a shutdown without pulling the plug/battery?
Power switch has no effect.

Haines Brown