[ltp] exiting single user mode

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:31:57 -0500

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 06:52:39AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm running sidux on a Thinkpad X61s.=20
>=20
> I entered single user mode in order to change root's password. That
> involved:
>=20
> 	sh3.1# mount -o remount,rw /
>
> It is my understanding that you ummount / if you intend to continue
> the boot, but not if you are going to shut down. Is this correct?

Not really.

>=20
> It seems that in the past I issued the command=20
>=20
>        	sh3.1# exit
>=20
> to exit single user mode, but now this results in=20
>=20
>    	exit
>      	Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Depending how you got to single user mode (ie, if you used init=3D/bin/sh)
then sh IS init, and exiting it means "init crashed".

?

> My first question is: What command am I missing that would have
> avoided this sync problem? I assume not sh3.1$ sync;sync .=20

mount -o remount,ro /
reboot

> Second question. It seems to me that when I used to get a kernel panic
> I could initiate a reboot with the three finger salute (C-M-Del), but
> that's not working on my Thinkpad. I'm forced a pull the power. Is
> there a way to force a shutdown without pulling the plug/battery?
> Power switch has no effect.

Three-finger-salute is handled by init.  Init isn't running, since you
bypassed it to get to shell directly.

Hold the power button down for 2-3 seconds.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"Yes, yes, LORD OF HUMANS!  I will rule you ALL with an iron fist!  YOU!
OBEY THE FIST!"
      -- Invader Zim =20

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--