[ltp] ibm-acpi brightness problems on the X60

Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:19:20 -0300

Sorry for the long delay in replying...

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> If I boot without acpi enabled and run into single user mode I can use FN-F7
> to switch forth and back between LCD and CRT. This is not possible any more
> as soon as the acpi kernel module is activated.

Known issue.  It works in that way on purpose.  Lenovo wants the OS to take
care of these things if it is an OS capable of it.  We happen to agree with
them, there :-)

> FN-F2 (lock screen) does not work with bios control. FN-F3 doesn't either.

These should be mapped through thinkpad-acpi to regular events and HAL
or something else should take care of it and issue lock screen commands,
whatever.

> However, I have a German keyboard and on my X60 there is FN-F3 that switches
> the display to dark if one does not touch the brightness keys. As soon as I
> change the brightness only once the FN-F3 combination does not work any more.

Might be a thinkpad-acpi or HAL bug.  I will look into it and if it is
required, issue a "call to arms" to track down all keyboard mappings.

> I have been discussing issues with SuSE people since I use openSUSE 10.2, they
> tols me I should file a bug against the X server but still: if I boot without
> X active (single user mode) and only activate acpi and the functionality
> FN-F7 is gone and echo "video_toggle" > /proc/acpi/ibm/video does nothing I
> can hardly imagine this is due to a X11 issue.

It isn't.  The issue is that nothing was sending events, OR nothing in
userspace was programmed to react to them, OR that at that time X.org didn't
know what to do with them (xrandr has improved a damn lot since...)

  Henrique Holschuh