[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Michael B Allen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:00:43 -0500

On 3/8/08, Tobi <listaccount@e-tobi.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>
>  While searching for a new notebook with the following basic parameters:
>
>   - CPU > 2 GHz, at least 4 MB L2 Cache
>   - 2 x 2 GB RAM
>   - SATA > 250GB, 8MB Cache
>   - 15,4" display (non-glossy)
>
>  ...I was recommended to take a look at the Lenovo T60 / T61.
>
>  I would like to run Linux on the notebook and keep Windows XP or 2008
>  (for doing some VisualStudio development) jailed in a VirtualBox.
>
>  Is there anything I should take care of, when buying a Lenovo notebook
>  for Linux? Any trouble with specific hardware components, unsupported
>  features or missing drivers? Any trouble running a 64-bit Linux?

Hi Tobias,

I just got a new T61 and the Intel 4965AGN wireless doesn't work. The
driver isn't even in any distro Kernel I know of. But, Intel has a
driver so it seems like it's mostly just a matter of time for it to
make into the stock kernels (I'm hoping CentOS 5.2 will have it). So
if you want to use wireless, you'll have to compile your own kernel
and then block the kernel from updating or symbol versioning is going
to break your wireless every time you update (unless the updated
kernel includes the new driver of course).

The other thing that didn't work was a suspend issue but it's
described in ThinkWiki and was an easy fix. I just needed to create an
XML file under /etc/ somewhere.

Everything else I've tried seems to work fine but I haven't used the
machine much. I just bought it now so that it properly aged for when I
need it (case-in-point: wireless driver) (and also I wanted to get XP
before they EOL it).

Another thing to look out for is that Lenovo's policies seem to be a
little different from IBM. I had bought another T61 with the vanilla
widescreen and hated it and they charged me a $170 restocking fee. I
don't know for sure but I don't think IBM would have done that 5 years
ago. BUT, the prices are good. I was a little pissed about the
restocking fee so I looked at DELL and it was still more money for
less computer. I think Lenovo has decided they are going to drop
prices by $300 at the expense of some of the more luxurious services
and support. Oh well.

Mike

PS: If you're getting the widescreen, get the WSXGA+. The regular WXGA
is lame by comparison.

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO