[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:18:12 +0100

--------------enig82D9E2D805E3CD48DB8BE42E

Michael B Allen wrote:

> Yeah but I like the fact that RH doesn't change stuff all the time.
> With other distros you have to reinstall every year or so or you're
> left in the dust. That would drive me nuts. I was running RH 7.3 for
> something like 3 years. And after I started having problems installing
> stuff I could keep things going by recompiling .src.rpm packages for
> Fedora (something I don't think an apt based distro can even do).

Well, if that suits you that's fine. However most Linux user prefer to
be on the bleeding edge, even if that means reinstalling the system
every now and then. I make notes about the system changes I make (and
extra copies of the files I change), so when I feel like installing
something else I can restore everything quickly.

As an apt user I don't really know what you're talking about. Apt can do
all that and more. I regularly use apt-build to make custom builds (it
downloads all dependencies and builds chosen Debian source package). I
use make-kpkg for fully automatic building of kernel packages. I used
apt-cdrom before I got broadband to download system updates.

Spreading rumors about a packaging system you don't use is silly at
best. I've never talked to an unsatisfied apt user, but I know at least
one unsatisfied former rpm user - me.

--=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl