[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Michael B Allen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 14:38:07 -0400

On 3/9/08, Marcin Trybus <mtrybus@o2.pl> wrote:
>  Spreading rumors about a packaging system you don't use is silly at
>  best. I've never talked to an unsatisfied apt user, but I know at least
>  one unsatisfied former rpm user - me.

I didn't say I didn't use it. My web server was debian for a long
time. I had a debian development server at my old job for several
years. I could never figure out how to rebuild things from source
packages. Maybe that was just my ignorance or maybe it was because I
thought debian was just annoying. The whole stable vs. unstable thing
was bull since all the real users ran unstable so packages took
forever to trickle down. And when they did, someone would yank a
package from the repo breaking dependencies because of some stupid
religious licensing flame war. There was no ntpd server. You were
expected to run ntpdate from cron. Xinit didn't start the X server in
a login shell so it wouldn't source the user's profile and when I
asked about it I was told I was an idiot despite the fact that I
provided examples from two other major distros that did start X
through a login shell. But the most annoying thing of all is when
someone gets their nose out of joint because I insulted their package
manager. Now *that's* silly.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen