[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:57:46 -0400

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 20:44 -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On 3/8/08, Petr Praus <p.praus@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's probably your main issue, 2.6.18 is really, REALLY old - more
> >  than year and half which in case of notebook hardware means a lot.
> >  Intel 4965AGN didn't even exist on the market back in September 2006
> >  when 2.6.18 was first released.
> >  Maybe it's time to go for some bleeding edge ;)
>
> Yeah but I like the fact that RH doesn't change stuff all the time.
> With other distros you have to reinstall every year or so or you're
> left in the dust. That would drive me nuts.
Ubuntu does update every few months... but you don't have to reinstall.
You just run an upgrade which has never failed in my experience. And
you're not left in the dust, they support the LTS versions for quite a
while (a year maybe) with security updates etc.

As far as Debian goes, releases are rare.  I think that's great because
I don't like to change my servers unless if have good reason to.  They
also release security fixes for years on old releases.

I think someone else asserted a bunch of stuff that they don't like
about Debian; Well, to each his own, but it certainly does have an ntp
program that runs as a service and has for at least 8 years.

>  I was running RH 7.3 for
> something like 3 years. And after I started having problems installing
> stuff I could keep things going by recompiling .src.rpm packages for
> Fedora (something I don't think an apt based distro can even do).

Both package managers can support "source" packages... they have had
feature parity for years now I think.  It's just a question of
preference and familiarity.

brad