[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:42:03 +0100

Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb:

>> but don't expect major multimedia codecs or
>> even 3rd party software to run on 64bit distros ;-((
>
> Wich kind of "major multimedia codecs" are you refering to? I'm running 64
> bits and dont really have problems with most multimedia codecs used nowadays.

The biggest problems are with with flash (e.g. sometimes on www.NFL.com,
www.burgerking.at and others).

Java Applets don't work most of the time with a 64bit JRE, and
connecting 64bit firefox with 32bit java plugin does not seem possible.

More problems are with recent M$ codecs, several older RealMedia codecs,
and most quicktime codecs.

For example I can't use the EuroSport Player, I can't use about 1/2 of
the videos and streams on websites, even if finding the streaming url
itself (in the html or javascript code) and feeding into several players
like mplayer, xine, vlc, kaffeine, totem, with gstreamer and xine backends.

Other programs unavailable in 64bit (but run most of the time, using
ia32-cages) include Opera, Skype, GoogleEarth, Acrobat Reader, and
RealPlayer.
Of course those are all from very small firms incapable of compiling
64bit binaries ...

>> But, ...
>>
>>> The T60 doesn't use PAE. Its chipset is limited to 3GB of program
>> space and 1GB for I/O, at least according to Intel and Lenovo.
>>
>>  ... is bullshit from IBM/Lenovo and proofes they don't know what they
>> are selling not to mention doing.
>>
>> I definitively can use all the 4 Gig (of my T61p from ~July 2007) with a
>> 32bit kernel with the correct options.
>
> He was speaking of his T60, wich doesn't have the same chipset as your T61p.

I still doubt the restriction, but of course I can't speak for that
chipset, and it is possible for a Mainboard/BIOS not to support PAE ...
With 64bit, the restriction still should not apply, except there are
only 32 address lines connected.
So, someone with the right hardware just gotta try it out, sorry ;->>

Regards

Christoph