[ltp] Re: What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:03:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Rolf Kutz wrote:

> On 10/03/08 16:52 +0100, Christoph Lechleitner wrote:
>>
>>> The T60 doesn't use PAE. Its chipset is limited to 3GB of program
>> space and 1GB for I/O, at least according to Intel and Lenovo.
>>
>> ... is bullshit from IBM/Lenovo and proofes they don't know what they
>> are selling not to mention doing.
>
> From what I read, they only mention that Windows
> XP can use no more than 3 GB [0]. I've never seen
> any reference to the memory limit that is
> mentioned at thinkwiki. Can somebody clarify
> this, please!?

I have to ... refine what I wrote. Intel claims the 945GM and 945PM, one
or both of which is used in the T60 can use 4GB of system RAM. Intel's 945
chipset datasheet:
http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/30921905.pdf

It's pretty clear the T61 can use 4GB. The T60 is another story. While
Intel says it could, early documentation from Lenovo said it couldn't.

This page has some history:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/print?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=830&page=1&format=page

That page has a link to an article that claims someone tried to use all
4GB in a T60 and failed, while Dell machines using the same chipset can
use 4GB. But another note says he's seen no real evidence that any Merom
machine (T61 is Santa Rosa) can use more than 3GB.

So while there appear to be some claims that the T60 (or at least its
chipset) can use 4GB RAM, I haven't yet seen any. I sure would like to, as
using a VM setup or running multiple OSes would be handy at times, and 4GB
would help.

Chris