[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:34:56 +0100

>> Java Applets don't work most of the time with a 64bit JRE, and
>> connecting 64bit firefox with 32bit java plugin does not seem possible.
>
> I have no problems with Java.

I mean applets, not legacy java programs.

I admit since 1.6 some applets actually work.

>> Other programs unavailable in 64bit (but run most of the time, using
>> ia32-cages) include Opera, Skype, GoogleEarth, Acrobat Reader, and
>> RealPlayer.
>> Of course those are all from very small firms incapable of compiling
>> 64bit binaries ...
>
> I use the alpha of 64-bit Opera and it works fine. Previously I used
> 32-bit Opera which I installed with --force-architecture, and it ran
> fine as well.

Where is this "alpha of 64-bit Opera" available?
I could not find it on opera.com.
Are you sure it's 64bit, i.e. ldd /somewhere/bin/opera points to /lib64
stuff?

> As for other codecs and stuff, Totem has played any movie I have thrown
> at it so far. I also have no problem playing anything with VLC and
> Mplayer.

The perception in this area depends totally on anybody's personal
surfing landscape, in mine it's a mess, sometimes even with 32bit;
Using the amd64 distro is the only easy way to use all my 4 Gig on my
laptop and the 2 newest desktops, so I started to maintain a virtual
32bit gutsy for important cases.

Btw., VMWare (Workstation 1-6 and Server 1-2beta) also seems unable to
handle 4 Gig; or they are just too shy to just ask the kernel for the
RAM, or the error messages use %d instead of %l for printf ...

Regards

Christoph