[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:34:05 +0100

gervin23@fastmail.fm schrieb:
>> I can confirm this experience. My MacMini has such a damn not-64-bit
>> Core not-2 Duo.
>>
>> Unfortunately Intel makes it difficult to distinguish CPUs with or
>> without EMT64 and with or without the new virtualization extenstion.
>>
>> Regards

> An easy way to determine 64bit or Intel Virtualization Technology (IVT)
> is to peek at the cpu flags line after issuing "cat /proc/cpuinfo" from
> the shell. Having 'lm' means you have 64bit while 'vmx' means you have
> IVT.

I meant distinguishing based one some computer's marketing description
like "Intel T1200 CPU", not the "evil honest" /proc/cpuinfo ;->>
(As ooposed to AMD's consquent integration of "64" in the name of any
Athlon/Duron based 64bit CPU)

Btw., my /proc/cpuinfo also tells me ...
... and I have the impression all 64bit CPU+kernel combionations produce
this line.

As of vmx resp. IVT, this is yet another feature that is supported by
the hardware but not by the BIOS or some chipset part, far too often.

Regards,

Christoph