[ltp] iwl4965: Could not read microcode: -2

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:46:09 -0400

> sudo apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi

Thanks, Yves-Alexis, that was the problem. It seems that I did not
have "non-free" in my sources.list, and that's why it did not install
by itself. Once I installed it, things went along much better.

I think I have the wlan0 a bit misconfigured, and so allow me to
append a couple very simple questions.

First, I did the configuration and finished up with:

  Sending on LPF/wlan0:00:1f:3b:03:25;ab
  DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
  No DHCPOFFERS received
  No working leases in persistent databases - sleeping

I suspect misconfiguration. In fact,

  # iwconfig
  lo        no wireless extensions
  eth0      no wireless extensions
  wmaster0  no wireless extensions
  wlan0     IEEE 802.11g ESSID: "2WIRE744"
  	    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.434 GHz Access Point:
               00:18:3F:1B:32:E1
 	    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
	    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
            Encryption key:3A...4F
            Link Quality=92/100 Signal level=-58 dBm
	       Noise level=-95 dBm
            Rx invalid nwdid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invald frag:0
	    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed Beacon:0

My guess is that all this looks right except when it comes to the
invalid nwdid. No idea what to do about that.

My second question is, how do I switch between am ethernet and a wifi
connection?  I should note that my configuration was done when my
computer was connected via cat5 to a router, and I'm not sure that
might be a souce of difficulty. I'm running a Thinkpad X61s with sidux
(debian sid), which I configured with ceni. If I'm browsing internet
via ethernet, how do I switch over to wifi and then back to ethernet
again?

Haines Brown