[ltp] debugging Fn-F* keys...

Frédéric BOITEUX linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:26:06 +0100

	Hello,

  I'm always trying to understand what is not working on my X31 with
Fn-F12 doing nothing instead of hibernation. I have a Debian Etch system
with latest Debian 2.6.24 kernel and thinkpad-acpi 0.19-20080107.

If I run acpi-listen and press Fn-F12, I get correct code :

ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000100c

and I've verified that corresponding ACPI
script /etc/acpi/hibernatebtn.sh is called ; it does :
acpi_fakekey $KEY_SUSPEND

Then, I tried to seek this event at the input level, using
input-events :

input-events -t 1000 7
/dev/input/event7
   bustype : BUS_HOST
   vendor  : 0x1014
   product : 0x5054
   version : 16641
   name    : "ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
   phys    : "thinkpad_acpi/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_MSC

waiting for events

... But nothing appears here (no trace when pressing Fn-F* keys) ; I've
tried to add some debug acpi_fakekey in ACPI scripts, and then the code
sent appears (as a "w" when sending $KEY_W), but not debugging traces
as I expected, like :
13:31:54.397494: EV_KEY KEY_SUSPEND pressed
13:31:54.397500: EV_SYN code=0 value=0

Is it correct ? What can I try to understand how and by whom key codes
are processed, and why the $KEY_SUSPEND don't go to gnome-power-manager
as it should ?

	Fred.