[ltp] A corrupted or missing Windows config on my A21P

Constant Brouerius van Nidek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:48:20 +0700

On my A21P I am running Linux as my main OS (Opensuse 10.2 and 10.3) with the
first 10GB partition Windows XP. It is my first experience with Windows.
Somehow booting Windows I now get the information that I have a corrupted or
missing Windows config. (windows\system31\config\system) No problem because
there seems to be a repair possibility. I booted the CD, pressed R in order
to do the repair and do not see any automatic repair activity. It finds the
C:\Windows and after entering help I get a lot of possibilities for whatever
action in what they seem to call "recovery console", but nothing telling me
how to restore the config.
I am more versed in Linux and this excursion in Microsoft-land comes after my
90's  experiences with Windows 3.1 and 3.11. Am still fix with Dos but
repairing this OS is out of my reach. Even simple things like chkdsk and dir
give unclear answers if any. Could somebody help me? Is a reinstall the
better way?