[ltp] wife router access

Jeffrey Franc-Law linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:19:59 +0000

Don't know if this is your situation.....

I have had this same problem when I boot first in windows then in
linux....If this is what you did, try resetting the router, or
unplugging/replugging the router.  I think the problem somehow pertains
to having the same MAC address coming from two different operating systems.

ciao,
jfl

Ashok Leyland wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:02:51PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>> My machine is a Thinkpad X61s, on which I'm running sidux.
>>
>> I am able to see an AP, I assume:
>>
>> 	# iwlist scan
>> 	Cell 02 - Address: 00:18:3F:1B:32:E1
>> 		  ESSID: "2WIRE744"
>> 		  Mode: Master
>> 		  Channel: 6
>> 		  Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
>> 		  Quality=100/100 Signal level=-54 dBm Noise level=-94dBm
>> 		  Encryption key: on
>> 		  Bit rates:1 Mb/s ... 54 Mb/s
>> 		  Extra:tsf=000000786a67d48
>>
>> The encryption key may be causing me a problem, but otherwise assume this
>> looks good.
>>
>> But no connection to the router:
>>
>> 	# iwconfig wlan0 essid "2WIRE744"
>> 	[nothing returned]
>>
>> 	# iwconfig
>> 	wmaster no wireless extensions
>> 	wlan0	IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"2WIRE744"
>> 	Encryption key::3ADA...4F
>> 	Link Quality=97/100 ...
>> 	Rx invalid nwid:0
>>
>> Haines Brown
>
> you snippet the info for wlan0 ;)
>
> it may just be that you need to explicitly set the channel on the card
> for it to associate. OTOH, I have seen routers where you need to press a
> button in order for a new card to be able to associate.
>
> HTH
> _

Jeffrey Michael Franc-Law, MD, CCFP.EM, D Sport Med, EMDM
Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Alberta
Disaster Plan Coordinator, Dept of Emergency Med, University of Alberta
Email: jfl@disastermed.ca
Phone (Canada): +780-266-9653
Phone (Italy): +39 339 390 13 62
Phone (Netherlands):+31 062 550 53 11
Fax:  +780-437-9673
SMS: jfl-sms@disastermed.ca

PGP key at:
http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=jeffrey+franc-law&searchformsubmit=Search

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com