[ltp] SOT: Konqueror & Firefox slow to take text on Thinkpad (not Opera)

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 02:59:04 +0000 (GMT)

> 2008-03-12 klockan 13:58 -0700 - Harry Mangalam:
>> I use Kubuntu Feisty on a T60 (4G ram, so no memory problems) [snip]
>>
>> Any others seeing this?
>
> A friend of mine has problems with a bug in X that is triggered by
> firefox. He uses tabs extensively (50+ open at the same time at least)
> and after one day his Xorg process is up for 1.5 GB of RAM.

If you're looking at the memory "consumed by the X-server" in top, then
this isn't an X problem at all. I forget the details, but basically,
firefox is what is *actually* using the RAM, but it gets "accounted" to X
by top. Firefox is an atrocious memory hog - I bought 8 GB for a 64-bit
desktop, and it uses the lot!

Richard