[ltp] A corrupted or missing Windows config on my A21P

Thu, 13 Mar 2008 05:47:54 +0000

cbroueriusvannidek@gmail.com wrote:
> Well, it is still the only possibility to run my build in (win)modem,

At least on my A22p, which has a winmodem, the Linux drivers have worked
for years. If it's a lucent modem, try this:
http://www.richardneill.org/a22p-mdk11-0.php#modem

> it has a Windows program with which I am able to communicate better
> with  my CDMA USB modem (lets me make sms and enables me to reload the
> prepaid CDMA modem card, in Linux it only works as my modem without
> anything to control prepaid saldo's).

I don't know about this. You might be able to make this work within a
virtual machine (Qemu or VMWare), in which case you'll save a lot of
re-booting.

Small things only which may be
> possible through wine. No idea.

Try wine - it works quite well for many tasks.

 Is the corrupted XP usable with wine
> or is that a bigger new setup. I have the 10 GB partition to play with
> because nothing important is on that partition.

Wine doesn't run the windows OS; Wine replaces the Windows OS, so you
can run Win32 apps. (To "run" the partition, you want Qemu or VMWare)

> Thought already from earlier email postings that Windows can not
> behave itself, reason why I stopped at the "help" info. What an OS.
> Thanks for the warning.

To be fair, this isn't quite MS's fault: a recovery CD is meant to do
just that, i.e. "restore" your system to how it left the factory,
cleaning up any "data" in the mean time.

My advice would be to check the Winmodem under Linux, and then see if
you can run the CDMA app under wine. Failing which, try installing XP
under Qemu, if you only want very occasional use.

Best wishes,

Richard