[ltp] wife router access

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:09:44 -0400

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:02:51PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > My machine is a Thinkpad X61s, on which I'm running sidux.
> >
> > I am able to see an AP, I assume:
> >
> > 	# iwlist scan
> > 	Cell 02 - Address: 00:18:3F:1B:32:E1
> > 		  ESSID: "2WIRE744"
> > 		  Mode: Master
> > 		  Channel: 6
> > 		  Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
> > 		  Quality=100/100 Signal level=-54 dBm Noise level=-94dBm
> > 		  Encryption key: on
> > 		  Bit rates:1 Mb/s ... 54 Mb/s
> > 		  Extra:tsf=000000786a67d48

> you snippet the info for wlan0 ;)
>
> it may just be that you need to explicitly set the channel on the card
> for it to associate. OTOH, I have seen routers where you need to press a
> button in order for a new card to be able to associate.

Ashok, are you saying that the info for wlan0 is insufficient, and
that one need not only ensure that the interface knows it is channel
6, but the card as well?

I'm not sure how I'd tell the chip or driver to use channel 6, and is
not the choice of channel a function of the AP I'm contacting? It was
my understanding (which amounts to little at all) that the driver
scans and picks up the channel from the APs that it sees.

In any case, # iwconfig wlan0 channel 6 had no effect.

Haines