[ltp] wife router access

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:27:03 -0400

>     Haines> My machine is a Thinkpad X61s, on which I'm running sidux.
>     Haines> I am able to see an AP, I assume:

> Did you think about trying network manager? Some people don't like it,
> based on a combination of legitimate design criticisms and old-school
> unix prejudice :-). On the other hand, it works pretty well for me on
> an X61s with 4965 wifi.  I have network-manager 0.6.5-5 and
> network-manager-kde 1:0.2-3 from Debian sid.

I had started with a testing application named ceni. Since I failed
with it, I turned to troubleshooting and dirct file manipulation, and
just got more confused. So now considered your kind suggestion of
network-manager. However, it threatened to drag in a huge bunch of
gnome packages. Since I like to run without any desktop manager and
use fluxbox instead, I was not anxious to take this step.

Although I like to understand what's going on and depend on manually
manipulating configurations rather than automate the process with a
utility (I would like to do everyone from a console), I'm so new at
this that I tried ceni, and once I knew what a working configuration
was supposed to look like I could abandon it.

So, contrary to your kind suggestion I'm restarting ceni in the hope
you might help me overcome my stumbling blocks.

Ceni scans for APs and asks me which I want reconfigure. I select the
one I've been working with as an apparently solid source. Here's the
first configuration screen for it:

  Backend: wireless tools
  Mode: Managed
  Encryption: WEP

  Network ESSID: 2WIRE744
  Network BSSID: 00:18:3F:1B:32:E1
  Preshared key:

What's a "preshared key? Is it necessary, and if so, where would I get
it? I could, I suspect, assume the risk of No encryption and get around
this stumbling block, but would prefer not to.

Haines