[ltp] Tightening hinges on Thinkpads

Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:41:46 +0200

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:04:01PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > It has come to my attention that my X61s has "loose hinges". The T42p
> > I've used for years has very firm hinges, after being opened and closed
> > a million times.=20
> >=20
> > My X61s is less than a week old, and I can flop the screen backward by
> > just moving the base of the laptop one way or another as I carry it.=20
> >=20
> > Short of sending it back for repair or replacement, is there a standard
> > way of tightening these hinges so they're solid and firm? Has anyone
> > done this?=20
>=20
> Sorry, can't help you. But if you DO send it back, give them hell about t=
he
> bad quality of the product, and compare it with your T42p.  Make sure that
> they recorded the complaint and that they will forward it to someone who
> will take note of it.  Be a pest about it.

FWIW the hinges on my T61 are both too tight (it's impossible to open
the lid with only one hand) and too loose (you can wobble the LCD with a
single finger near the top).  At least the screen is heavy enough so it
doesn't wobble by itself when I move the laptop around.

> Otherwise, if we keep quiet, in a few years, ThinkPads will just be as go=
od
> quality as a Dell you painted black.

I'm starting to entertain heretic thoughts about perhaps choosing not a
ThinkPad for my next laptop.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--